Clerk FAQs

Who collects garbage in the Village and how do I obtain a recycling bin?

The Village of Rockton contracts a local waste hauler (Rock River Disposal) for residential trash pick-up service. Lawn waste is accepted in the biodegradable garbage bags marked with an X or in your garbage can marked with an X from April 1st thru November 31st.  If you need a replacement garbage or recycling bins, please call Rock River Disposal at (815)965-2489.

Does the Village have a burning ordinance?

The Village does have in place a burning ordinance, #2002-05, which allows residents to burn in April, October and November. If you choose to burn, you may only do so on days when the smoke will easily dissipate into the atmosphere, and the fire will not be spread by blowing winds. All fires must be attended and only landscape waste such as trees, tree trimmings, branches, stumps, brush, weeds, leaves, grass, shrubbery and yard trimmings may be burned. Burning shall be allowed every day during the hours of 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM and fires must be 25 feet from the nearest building structure or combustible fencing. A fire extinguishing source must be immediately available and any fire must be monitored by an adult of at least 18 years of age. PLEASE NOTE: The burning of non-landscape waste within the village limits of Rockton is prohibited.

Does the Village require vehicle stickers?


Is Cable television available to my home?

Generally speaking, cable television is available to all subdivisions in and near the Village. To find out if you have service, call Charter Communications at (800)-581-0081.

I want to obtain water and sewer service; or, I am having problems with these services. Who can I call?

The Village Clerk or Water Clerk (815-624-7600) can assist you with water and sewer hookups and billing information. If you experience problems during regular business hours, call our Public Works Department at 624-2800. After regular business hours and on weekends and holidays, emergency service is available by calling (866)-598-3484.

Are dog or cat licenses required?

No.  (Winnebago Animal Control -

Do I have to shovel my sidewalk when it snows?

Yes, in areas of the Village where there is a sidewalk you must clear it within 48 hours after any snowfall. Likewise, you must keep it clear of ice to the best of your ability.

What is the name and phone number of the local newspaper?

The Rockton Herald (815-624-6211)


What is the phone number and location of the post office?

The Post Office is located at 214 W. Main Street. The phone number is (815)624-6281.

Where is the Rockton Township Tax Assessor located and what is the phone number?

The Tax Assessor is located in the Rockton Township Offices at 1315 N. Blackhawk Blvd. The phone number is (815)624-2597.

Is there a food pantry in Rockton?

The local food pantry is located in the Old Stone Congregational Church, 101 E. Union Street. For information call (815)624-6212.

Where can I register to vote?

You may register to vote at the Rockton Talcott Library (815-624-7511) & the Village Clerk's Office (815-624-7600). You will need two forms of ID, one with your current address. 

What park facilities are there in Rockton?

Village Green Park is located in the center of the Village with a playground and the swimming pool facility which is open in the summer season only. In the winter season, this park also offers an ice skating/hockey rink and is beautifully decorated for the holiday season. Settlers Park, right behind the Village Hall offers a ball diamond, two basketball courts, shelter house with restrooms, walking paths, and a beautiful gazebo for picture taking and lovely Rock River views. Rockton Athletic Fields, located on Old River Road, has four ball diamonds as well as a soccer and football fields along with a concession stand. Woodlands Park, located in the Woodlands Subdivision, offers walking paths, disc golf, volleyball courts and some playground equipment. The Rockton Boat Ramp, located in the 500 block of E. Main Street, offers boat launching facilities.  Barkwood Dog Park, located at 11369 North Main Road, offers a walking trail for anyone to use.  Barkwood Dog Park also offers a small and large area for unleashed dogs which requires a dog pass permit.  

Who do I contact to reserve the use of any park or pool facilities?
Please contact Don Self at or 815-624-6894.